Sunday, February 13, 2011

Trifold Punched Hearts Card




This card was quite a bit of work, but I love how it turned out !


All items used on the sample above were from Stampin' Up!
 Riding Hood Red card stock and ink
 Very Vanilla card stock and craft ink
 several background stamps
 heart shaped punches



I started off with a basic trifold card. The base started at 12" long by 5 1/2" tall. I scored it at 4" and 8" so it would become a 4"  x  5 1/2" card when folded.

I punched dozens of hearts then stamped them (use decorative papers for a quicker project).

Starting on one side, I laid the hearts out in a diagonal line from near the lower left corner up to the top right corner. I found it easier to start with the larger hearts then add on the medium the nsmallest hearts, randomly placed and trying not to put two of the same on top of each other. Glue them in place.

Carefully trim away the excess vanilla trifold card base around the tops of the hearts. OR trim off a diagonal piece from along the top of the card before starting then adhere the hearts along the cut edge.

Flip the card over then lay out another row of punched hearts lining them up with the hearts on the opposite side; glue in place.

This is a fun, wow project that can be done with any sort of punched, die cut or stamped shapes.



The samples below use decorative papers



Front side with all hearts already adhered. I start with the largest then build them up




opposite side, unfinished
You could leave this side unfinished, but when folded the middle portion shows so you will want to at least cover up the hearts in that part so that it looks nice when folded.




Opposite side showing the starting process of matching up hearts. It is not really necessary to do the entire length if you don't want to, do the middle section at least so that when the card is folded you don't see backsides of the hearts as seen below.





Finished with the entire length of both sides of the card covered with hearts, 
folded then wrapped with light pink organdy ribbon. 



Thanks for looking !

29 comments:

  1. Very gorgeous! I'm sure it was a little time consuming, but the results are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one, it looks so pretty and really makes an impact!! Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather, I like this card a lot. It does look like fun to make. Thank you for your visits to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is incredible! Someone pinned it to Pinterest and I am just in love with it! I hope to make one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a STUNNING card, Thanks for the great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, so, cute! What a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely lovely! going to be CASEing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful card. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just pinned this - thank you for the inspiration! I can't wait to try it. I think it would be awesome with flowers also. Great way to use up some scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great card, very eye catching!!! And thankyou soooo much for the tutorial, it is very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For perspective, what size hearts did you use? I love this card. Some look like the 3 heart punch from SU, but are your bigger hearts a punch or one of the Framelit Hearts from SU? I think the large isn't as big as it looks, due to thinking that you used the 3 heart punch. Thanks. This is just so cute. I'm glad someone put it on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly~
      Yes, I used the Heart To Heart Punch and the Full Heart Punch, both from Stampin' Up! Nearly any size heart punch (or other shapes!) would work.

      Delete
  12. Great idea! Best Valentine card I've ever seen. Sophisticated rather than sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I love your card. I really must try this with flowers, hearts, and maybe presents for a birthday card?
    Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty and clever card. It's helping to inspire me to do my daughter's card, where I'm using alot of hearts. I reached here from Martina Inngauer's pinterest board.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute and clever - thanks for sharing. Saw it on pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw this on pinterest and Just Had to make it! Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi love the card going to try it with butterflies , thanks for the idea michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made a cut file for the hearts and made the card a little smaller to fit on an 8.5" x 11" piece of card stock (two per sheet.) Thanks for the design!

    http://extremecards.blogspot.com/2013/07/zig-zag-fold-heart-thank-you-card.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job, thanks for sharing the link to your post. I'm sure your cut files and additional tips will be useful to others :)

      Delete
  19. It is 1/25/14 and your card is still being enjoyed. Can you believe it, 3 years later?! I see the last comment in 2013 was about using a digital cutting machine, which is what I did (BEFORE) seeing her post. Oh well, I needed the practice... thanks for creating and sharing such a lovely card.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OHh, what a beautiful card.

    greetings from germany, hippe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the instructions, so many people do not include them with their pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. good evening im from philippines it happened that im looking for an idea to make a card to give to my superior and i found this in the pinterest and me eyes were hook up with your very awesome and creative work.thank you so for sharing your talent.god bless you always.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)