inside the card - a pop up bouquet !
I finally broke down and bought a new library card recently. Living in a rural area, we aren't part of a library district thus we don't pay taxes to one so we must buy a non resident card if we wish to use a library. I put my new card to use, spending a little time perusing crafty books last week. I came across two I hadn't seen before . This card - the pop up bouquet portion - was inspired by a project I saw in one of those books. The colors (CC370) and sketch (SC380) come from two challenges at Splitcoaststampers.com. The floral theme fits the 2TC2 challenge at TwistedTuesdays. This is the first time ever I have created a card with the intention of meeting multiple challenges !
All of these ideas came together well to make a card for an old friend and her husband to celebrate their Marriage Blessing. I really should have used YoYo Yellow and Gable Green to match the colors she chose for the decorations though.
This card required extra postage to be mailed.
inspiration image from book
My pop up bouquet isn't exactly as the one in the book. I spent far too much time fiddling with it, folding and bending, pushing in every direction, determined to make it work. In the end, I did manage to get it to fold into place - but the recipient probably won't be able to get it to go back in once it has been opened ! I must have spent 30 minutes myself trying to get it back into position after I opened it to try it out ! Had I followed the directions in the book and used the pattern that was given, it may have worked much better. Perhaps if you do a search online you will be able to find a photo tutorial for a pop up bouquet.
All items used, unless noted otherwise, are from Stampin' Up!
The flowers were made by inking up an image from the Mixed Bunch stamp set with Daffodil Delight ink then rolling the edges onto a Tangerine Tango ink pad. You can find an online tutorial for the "rock n' roll technique" here. Stamp seven of them onto lightweight copy paper and three onto Whisper White card stock.
The center dots were colored with a Chocolate Chip marker.
I ran a thin line of Diamond Sparkles (PSX) glitter glue down the center of the petals.
I used the coordinating Blossom punch to punch out the flowers. I punched 7 of them out of the lightweight copy paper for the pop up bouquet inside the card. One is for the center, the other six surround the center flower. Fold each flower in half, then fold that into thirds. Unfold. Glue the flowers along the top edge of the petals to each other, just a little bit of adhesive right in the center edge of the petal. Glue the backs to each other, lining up the petal edges.
Do not fold the flowers punched out of Whisper White card stock for the front of the card, just slightly curl up the petals for a little dimension.
The leaves are made from green mulberry paper cut with scissors - and are looking a bit sad after all of the smooshing, trying to get the pop up to work. You want to use lightweight papers for the flowers and leaves to reduce the bulk as well as make it easier to fold.
The butterfly was die cut with the Beautiful Wings embosslits die onto Tangerine Tango card stock. I lightly sponged a bit of Tangerine Tango ink along the edges of the butterfly wings. Using a fine paintbrush and acrylic craft ink (432 Sunflower from FolkArt/Plaid), I painted the raised embossed design created by the die on the wings.
The butterfly body is made with a small piece of thin gauge craft wire and black seed beads (unknown). Bend a small portion of wire in half around the body. String seed beads onto the front of the wire, twist ends together leaving enough to curl for antennae. Mount to flowers with dimensionals/pop dots.
"Happiness Always" from the Whimsical Words stamp set was inked with Tangerine Tango and Old Olive markers. Stamp, then punch out with a circle punch and add a few rhinestones (unknown).
The decorative border along the bottom of the card was made with the So Swirly Jumbo Stampin' Around wheel inked with Daffodil Delight ink pad. I then carefully used a cotton swab to remove ink from the polka dot line portions so I could reink them with an Old Olive marker. I also touched a bit of Tangerine Tango marker onto the flower designs. "Huff" your warm breath onto the stamp to re-moisten the ink if necessary then roll onto card. It looked really neat being multicolored, but of course I didn't take a photo of it before it was all covered up with the flowers. Too bad none of it shows now.
I used a scoring board and stylus to make the double dry embossed lines at the top and bottom of the rolled image border after it was stamped.
4/15/2012 EDITED TO ADD:
I didn't think to add a couple of photos of how I managed to get the pop up to fold into the card! Hopefully it would be helpful to any of you wanting to try to make one yourself.
this looks straight at the pop up as it is being opened
one side of the pop up
the opposite side of the pop up;
notice that the flowers fold in differently than the other side
Thanks for looking =)
4/20/2012 BOOK TITLE - I found it!
5/18/2012 - Instructions on the website I was just made aware of