Friday, August 9, 2013

Pop Open Umbrella Card - Bridal Shower









I did a quick search online for a pop open umbrella card and couldn't find what I hand in mind, so I came up with this and am tickled that it worked !

I originally created this so that the umbrella would pop open as a fun surprise on the front of the card with a little note inside of it. There was to be a coordinating fancy gift card envelope I would make attached to the back of it.

As I was working on it (I had already signed the note inside the umbrella as you can see!), I decided it might be better to glue the umbrella closed and turn it into an entire card. I didn't really want to holler across the hall where the shower was going to be held to explain that it popped open to see who it was from ;) So either way, this little creation of mine is a cute card accent for showers - or even scrapbook pages.

I first die cut a large scalloped edge circle from scrap paper to fiddle with, see if I could make what I had envisioned work.

Although I did get it folded up to pop open, I wasn't really happy with the way it looked. It certainly could have worked, but it didn't lay quite right when closed, it was too "poofy" for my liking. It reminded me of bellows ! So I cut another and tried a slightly different way to fold it. Success !

First practice piece





My finished project uses a doily cut with a Fiskars circular paper punch. I used the 6" circle to start. This punch sure is pretty and leaves really nice, detailed punched out areas along the edge of lightweight paper, but I am having a tough time getting it to line up perfectly. Then again, I've only used it a half dozen times so far, I obviously still need practice.

The paper is a cream colored shimmery paper from an office supply store. It is not as heavy / thick as card stock so it punches and folds nicely.

The handle to the umbrella was hand cut with scissors from metallic gold card stock.

The cream piece of card stock was run through a Texturz plate that Stampin' Up! used to sell. I may go back in and add a touch of shimmery Pearl Ex to the dots on the raised design areas to highlight them a bit as if it were rain drops..... then again, I may not since the card is now done and I don't want to take a chance on ruining it ! There aren't that many dots in the design visible, anyway.

I lightly sponged gold metallic paint along the edge of the cream card stock layer before adhering it to the metallic gold card stock.

Cream organdy ribbon tied into a bow, a tiny tag and a clay rose that I painted with acrylic paints dress up the handle. The clay rose embellishment was made with the new molds from Stampin' Up!
The inside of the card has a small scallop edge envelope (die from Stampin' Up!) stamped with a really old retired stamp. I used gold craft paint as my ink for my stamp so it would show up well on the shimmery paper.




Unfortunately the envelope is not quite big enough for a gift card as I thought it would be. I'll origami fold money into a heart shape and insert it instead of a gift card, maybe die cut some leaves to put in with it as added decoration.

I did take some photos to try to show how I folded the paper, but I don't know they will be very helpful.
It isn't difficult to do. I would recommend if you want to try it , use scrap paper first.

Although I like to try to make cards with the colors of the wedding (or baby's room if it is for a baby shower) , I decided against it this time since they were deep fall colors. I wasn't quite into using them with my shimmery cream , elegant pop open paper umbrella. Maybe I'll pull those colors into the card I create for the wedding later this fall.





Here are the photos and directions the best I could come up with to show how I made the pop open umbrella for the greeting card. The practice sample piece in the photos below uses a large scallop edge circle die cut. The die came from Stampin' Up!










As I was fiddling around with folding the paper to try to make this, I was reminded of the tea bag folded projects I made.




After creating this project and posting it to my blog, I came across a challenge it is perfect for. I'm entering into the challenge here
http://www.catherineandcathycreate.com/2013/07/ccc-004-monthly-challenge-here-comes.html

The next few posts I share will be wedding related, too.



Thanks for looking =) 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Heather, this is GORGEOUS!! Thanks for playing at CCC!! Just gorgeous!! I am so glad oyu put the instructions there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your umbrella is beautiful! I love this design and the fancy punched edge is so elegant!! Gorgeous card!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Nice..will make my little one do it as she loves such artistic stuff!! :) thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking the time to leave your comments. I hope I've inspired you to get a bit crafty today ;)